Poppy Flower Monarch butterfly
Aerial photo of U.C.S.B campus point
Bicycles in bike racks

AB540 and DACA


AB 540 Information

Students may be granted an exemption from the nonresident supplemental tuition by meeting all of the following AB 540 criteria:

  • Attended a high school in California for three or more years; and
  • Graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent); and
  • Attended, or in the process of attending, a University of California campus after January 01, 2002; and
  • Must not be a nonimmigrant as defined by federal immigration law; and
  • Must complete an Application/Affidavit stating that if they do not have a lawful immigration status, they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

As of January 1, 2015, students may be eligible for AB 540 if the student:

  • Has successfully completed three years of California high school credit in fewer than three years, and
  • Can document three years attendance at California K-12 school(s).

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Students who are DACA-approved should note that:

  • Although approved DACA students may be eligible for a resident classification, current policy/procedure is to classify students as nonresidents with an AB540 exemption. Nonresident students with an AB540 exemption will be charged the same tuition rate as resident students.
  • Students who wish to be classified as residents for tuition purposes must first contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) for counseling.
  • After being counseled by a financial aid advisor, students who still wish to be classified as California residents may present their DACA information to the campus Residence Deputy for review.

This website summarizes UC Residence Policy and Guidelines and may not address all questions or cover all circumstances. Content on this website is merely for advising purposes and does not guarantee any residency determination. Although each campus may adopt different administrative procedures, University regulations regarding residency for tuition purposes are exactly the same for all UC campuses. Changes may be made in the residence requirements between the publication of this statement and the relevant residence determination date.

Beyond the residence staff in Office of the Registrar, no other University personnel are authorized to supply information regarding residence requirements for tuition.