Declare Candidacy for Graduation

Undergraduate students: Declare Candidacy

Declaring Degree Candidacy Infographic-2021


Undergraduate students: Declare Candidacy

  • Declaring candidacy for a particular quarter means that the student intends to complete all coursework for their degree requirements on or before the last day of that quarter.
    • Please note that if you intend to enroll in summer courses to complete your degree, you will need to declare your candidacy for the summer quarter. This does not preclude you from participating in the spring commencement ceremonies.
  • Undergraduate students should declare candidacy via GOLD (‘Graduation’ link under 'Progress') for the quarter in which they will complete all degree requirements.  Quarterly deadlines for declaring candidacy can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website (the deadline is usually within the first two weeks of each quarter).  Students who miss the deadline should contact the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible at


Declare Candidacy

  • Declaring candidacy via GOLD is the only way to officially graduate and receive a degree from UCSB.  Anticipated degree dates appearing on registration or other materials are projections only.  
  • It is strongly recommended that students participating in a UC Education Abroad program during their final quarter at UCSB declare candidacy for the next quarter. For example, students studying abroad Spring quarter who do not plan to return to UCSB are encouraged to declare candidacy for the Summer quarter. This is due to the delay in receiving final grades from UC Education Abroad programs.  Please visit UCSB’s EAP website for more information.
  • Run a Progress check or Degree Audit in GOLD ('Progress' link at the top; 'Major and GE checks').  Discuss any deficiencies with your College or major department adviser.

Graduate students: Complete your Degree

  • Please refer to the Graduate Division’s website on degree completion.

All students: Financial Blocks

  • Check the Account Summary of your BARC account for any blocks. Diplomas will be held for student who have blocks on their account. Students must contact the BARC office by email to to resolve any blocks. Students who have a University Center block must contact the University Center by email to
  • Students who do not clear all blocks before the initial mailing of all diplomas will have their diploma held at the Office of the Registrar.  Once all blocks are cleared, students must contact the Office of the Registrar to have their diploma released. Students will be required to submit a release form and pay an additional processing fee of $19.00 (Domestic mailing) or $24.00 (International or Certified mailing). To initiate the process please contact the Office of the Registrar at