Information on Diplomas

Diploma Mailing

Diploma Blocks (Holds)

Diploma Name

Replacement Diplomas

Diploma Notarization

Diplomas are mailed several months after the end of the term in which the degree(s) were awarded. Degree candidates who need official verification of degree(s) awarded before the diploma is ready may order official transcripts or verifications via GOLD. Students with a "Scheduled" Degree Status in GOLD will need to select "Hold for Degree" when ordering transcripts or verifications.

Graduate degree candidates who need unofficial verification of degree(s) awarded before the diploma is ready should contact the Graduate Division

Diplomas returned to the Office of the Registrar due to financial blocks or incorrect addresses are retained for 5 academic years.

At this time, the Office of the Registrar is not able to allow students to pick-up their diplomas in person. Please contact us at if you have any questions.

Diploma Mailing

Diplomas are mailed approximately 3-4 months after the end of the term in which the degree was awarded.

Degrees awarded

Diplomas mailed

Winter quarter

late May

Spring quarter

early October

Summer quarter

early December

Fall quarter

early March

Diplomas are automatically mailed to the "Diploma address" in GOLD. Please note: Diplomas cannot be forwarded to a new address even when using mail-forwarding services through the US Postal Service. Students must update their diploma address in GOLD to the most current address. Please contact the Office of the Registrar at if the address will not fit in the space allowed in GOLD. 

A diploma processing fee of $19.00 will be assessed to BARC accounts at the time of declaring candidacy via GOLD (undergraduate students) or when a degree is scheduled to be conferred (graduate students). This is a one-time fee charged per degree (bachelor's, master's, etc.) to all students the first time they declare candidacy or schedule their degree. If a student subsequently removes their degree candidacy, the fee will not be refunded. 

UCSB is not responsible for diplomas which are lost or damaged in the mailing process.  For diplomas lost or damaged in the mailing process and within one year of graduation, please contact our office at for more information.

Update Diploma address

Diploma Blocks

  • Student should check the Account Summary of their BARC account for any blocks. Diplomas will be held for student who have blocks on their account. Students must contact the BARC Office by email to to resolve any blocks. Students who have a University Center block must contact the University Center by email to
  • Students who do not clear all blocks before the initial mailing of all diplomas will have their diploma held. 
  • Diplomas are not automatically mailed after blocks are cleared! Once all blocks are cleared, students must contact the Office of the Registrar to have their diploma released. To initiate the process please contact the Office of the Registrar at


BARC block

Back to top


Diploma Name

Diplomas are printed with the student's official name on record with the UCSB Office of the Registrar. Degree candidates can view their diploma name in GOLD by selecting the Graduation and Commencement link under the Progress tab. Please check it for accuracy and report any errors or omissions to the Office of the Registrar at

Students who have a name more than 30 characters long (including spaces) will need to contact the Office of the Registrar at to ensure that their full name will be printed on the diploma. Students should also contact the Office of the Registrar to request an accent or special character on a diploma. Accents or special characters are only added to the diploma name by special request.

Name Change

Students who need to make changes to their official name of record, click here to download the Name or Data Change Petition. For more information please visit our page on Name Change procedures.


Diploma Name-GOLD
Back to top


Replacement Diplomas

In accordance with University of California policy, multiple copies of diplomas are not issued. However, students may order a replacement diploma if the original was lost, damaged, or they have changed their legal name. Order may be place online through GOLD. Information on how to order instructions is available on the How to Order a Replacement Diploma page. Replacement diplomas bear the signatures of current University officials and the statement "Reissued [Month Year]." This process takes 3-6 weeks.  Rush processing is not available for replacement diplomas.

There is a fee of $50.00 (Domestic mailing via USPS) and $75.00 (International mailing or Domestic mailing via FedEx) charged for replacement diplomas.


Diploma Notarization

The Office of the Registrar is providing this service on a very limited basis. Please email for more information.



UCSB does not process Apostille requests. This is handled by the State of California Secretary of State's Office. Students must complete this process on their own.


Back to top