Non-UC Sponsored Study Abroad Leave

UCSB undergraduates wanting to study abroad through non-UC sponsored programs, but who want to retain their enrollment priority and not be required to submit a readmission application, may do so by submitting a formal leave request. The advantages of requesting this leave are:

  • No readmission application is required if all of the steps to request leave status are completed prior to study abroad departure;
  • Registration pass times will be established in GOLD to allow registration prior to returning to UCSB, and;
  • State and federal financial aid may be available for students who have established financial aid eligibility for the UCSB campus.


Choosing to request leave status in association with study abroad involves preparation in advance of departure. The following links provide valuable information and access to forms.

Steps Prior to Departure

Steps for Returning

Frequently Asked Questions

Leave Request Forms


Other Campus Resources

Admissions - Transfer Credit Guidelines

Education Abroad Program

Financial Aid