Withdraw from the University

Complete Withdrawal

Undergraduate students

Students who determine that they cannot complete a quarter for which they have paid fees, or signed a fee deferment agreement with the Billing Office, must submit an Undergraduate Withdrawal form to the Office of the Registrar. If the petition and deadline requirements are met and the approval of the student's college dean is secured, they will be withdrawn officially.

  • Petitions filed during the early weeks of the quarter, may be entitled to a partial refund of the quarterly fees as listed by the fee refund schedule.
  • Petitions filed prior to the first day of instruction are considered cancellations and may be submitted through GOLD, which will result in a cancelled registration and a 100% refund of fees. See below for more information.
  • The deadline for undergraduate students in the College of Engineering and the College of Letters and Science to submit a completed petition is the last day of instruction for the quarter.
  • The submission deadline for the College of Creative Studies is the last day of the quarter.
  • The date the completed petition is received by the Office of the Registrar is the official withdrawal date.


Graduate students

Continuous registration is required of graduate students. Leaves of Absence may be granted under extraordinary circumstances. Consult the Graduate Division for information on eligibility.


Cancellation of Registration

Students who wish to cancel registration prior to the beginning of a quarter may do so on GOLD using the Quarter Cancellation Petition.

Note: International students and visiting students are not eligible to use the GOLD petition and will need to submit a signed Cancellation of Registration form to the Office of the Registrar.


Important Withdrawal Information

  • Students should discuss their plan to withdrawal or cancel with the Financial Aid Office before taking action. Federal and state regulations require that students who cancel or withdraw and received financial aid to 1) Return a portion of their aid if they withdraw before completing 60% of the quarter, or 2) Return 100% of aid if they cancel registration prior to the first day of instruction.
  • Newly admitted undergraduate students who cancel their registration prior to the first day day of instruction for their quarter of admission will not be eligible for readmission and must reapply to the University through the regular undergraduate admission process adhering to Admissions processing deadlines. For further information contact the Office of Admissions.
  • Undergraduate students who submit a completed petition after the final drop deadline, will receive a grade of W for each course in which the student was enrolled.
  • Students who complete the enrollment process but discontinue work for the quarter without filing a petition for withdrawal, will receive failing grades in all the courses in which they are enrolled They are ineligible for a refund of fees and their future registration privileges may be blocked.
  • The Office of Student Life (OSL) may offer assistance with a current quarter withdrawal for a student who cannot do so due to serious medical or hardship circumstances. For more information, call (805) 893-4521.  Note: Requests made through OSL must receive final approval by the student’s college before the withdrawal petition is submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
  • After withdrawal and before future registration, students must receive permission to return. A readmission/reinstatement application must be filed before the published deadline date.
  • Students are advised to consult with faculty, departmental or college advisers, and/or Counseling and Career Services before withdrawing so as to consider the full implications of this action.