Starting with the Fall 2014 registration cycle a new waitlisting feature has been added into GOLD. The current functionality is relatively basic, but the intent is to expand functionality over the next couple of years.
The Waitlist button will become available on the Course Search Screen once the following criteria are met:
- It's after the start of Pass 2.
- The department or instructor has enabled the waitlist for the course.
- All lectures and sections of the course are full or closed.
- For example, if there are 3 lectures and associated discussion sections of a course being offered. The waitlist will only become active once all 3 lectures have no spaces which may be added.
- When signing up for a waitlist, students will be prompted to select which of the sections would be acceptable as well as the grading option, repeat values, and units if appropriate for the course.
- The signup screen will also display the number of students currently on the waitlist as well as any notes from the department so that the student may make an educated decision as to whether they would like to join the waitlist.
- The units of waitlisted coursework WILL count toward the student's unit maximum for the current registration pass.
- Spaces that open after the waitlist has enrolled students will not be able to directly add the course. They must register for the waitlist first.
- The watilist has an Auto Add feature that may be enabled by the department or instructor. If enabled, spaces which become available will be assigned to the student at the top of the waitlist. The student will be added and notified via email.
- Currently (Fall 14) the waitlist only supports a first come, first served sort order.
- Starting Winter 15, the waitlist may be using other criteria (e.g. major, class level, etc.) to determine priority.
- This feature will only add students that are eligible to add the course. If a student is missing pre-requisites or does not meet major, level or other limitations, they must consult with the instructor or department offering the course.
Viewing Waitlist Settings
The settings for a course waitlist may be viewed by searching for a course in GOLD and clicking on the 'Course info' link. At the bottom of the General tab you will find several fields related to the current settings for the course waitlist:
Waitlist Enabled: Yes - Waitlist has been Enabled. No - Waitlist has not been enabled by the Dept or Instructor. The waitlist will not actually activate until the criteria listed in the Overview section is met.
Waitlist Auto-Add: indicates whether the Auto-Add feature has been enabled for this course. If 'Yes', students will be added to the course as spaces become available in the course. If 'No', available spaces will be managed using Approval Codes.
Adding to a Waitlist
Once a waitlist becomes active, a waitlist button will display next to the Lecture for the course. To add to the waitlist, click the waitlist button next to one of the lectures:
When filling out the form, please make sure to select all of the sections that you would be willing to add. If you do not meet the requirements to add the course (e.g. missing pre-requisites, major limitations, level limitations, etc.) you may still add to the waitlist, but the Auto-Add feature will not be able to add you to the course. You will still need to talk to the department about correcting these issues before the Auto-Add will enroll you in an available space.