Poppy Flower Monarch butterfly
Aerial photo of U.C.S.B campus point
Bicycles in bike racks

Withdraw from the University

If a student determines that they cannot complete a quarter for which they have paid fees, or signed a fee deferment with the Billing Office, they must petition for withdrawal at the Office of the Registrar. If the petition and deadline requirements are met and the approval of the student's college dean is secured, they will be withdrawn officially.

If a student's petition is filed prior to the first day of instruction, their registration is cancelled and their fees are unassessed. If the petition is filed during the early weeks of the quarter, then the student may be entitled to a partial refund of the quarterly fees they have paid, or promised to pay, as listed by the fee refund schedule.

The deadline for undergraduate students in the College of Engineering and the College of Letters and Science to submit a completed petition is the last day of instruction for the quarter. Undergraduate students in the College of Creative Studies have until the last day of the quarter to submit a completed petition.

The date a completed petition is received by the Office of the Registrar is the official withdrawal date.

Important Information

1) Federal and state regulations require that students who have received financial aid return a portion of that aid if they withdraw before completing 60% of the quarter. If a student's registration is cancelled, 100% of their aid will be cancelled.  Students should advise the Financial Aid Office if they will return in a subsequent quarter.

2) Newly admitted undergraduate students who withdraw from all registered classes prior to the 15th day of instruction during the quarter of admission will not be eligible for readmission and must reapply to the University through the regular undergraduate admission process adhering to Admissions processing deadlines. For further information contact the Office of Admissions.

3) When undergraduate students are enrolled in courses and the completed petition is submitted after the final drop deadline, the Office of the Registrar will enter a grade of W for each course in which the student was enrolled.

4) If a student has completed the enrollment process and then discontinue work for the quarter without filing a petition for withdrawal, failing grades will be recorded in all the courses in which they have enrolled, they will be ineligible for any refund of fees, and their future registration privileges may be blocked.

5) The Office of Student Life can provide assistance with a current quarter withdrawal petition when the student is incapacitated or unable to complete the process personally due to serious illness or injury, or another serious emergency. The emergency situation must reasonably prevent the student from completing the form and obtaining the required signatures in person, by fax, or by mail. For assistance, call (805) 893-4521 or E-mail (danna.sandor@sa.ucsb.edu) OSL. Note: Final approval of the withdrawal request is granted by the student’s college.

6) After withdrawal and before future registration, students must apply for and receive permission to be readmitted/reinstated.

7) Students are advised to consult with faculty, departmental or college advisers, and/or Counseling and Career Services before withdrawing so as to consider the full implications of this action.

Graduate students

Continuous registration is required of graduate students. Leaves of Absence may be granted under extraordinary circumstances. Consult the Graduate Division for information on eligibility.